If you don’t own a home safe, it might be time to make the purchase. Not only can they help with theft of valuables or family heirlooms, but they can also protect special documents. A home safe is priceless when the unexpected occurs. Documents and valuables can be kept out of harm should you ever experience a home fire or burglary. These reasons alone should be a good motive to invest in a home safe.
Where to place your home safe
When shopping for a home safe, make sure it’s heavy enough so a burglar couldn’t walk away with it. If you can, bolt it to the floor or install it into a wall. An additional thought is to store it in a unique place in your home unless you’re using it daily such as in an office. You don’t want to simply not use it because it isn’t convenient. Some additional things to consider is the size of the safe. Safes that are heavy and require a hand truck to move should be placed on the ground floor. Safes that can be moved with a couple of people are okay to have on the second floor. If your main concern is fire, you should try to place your safe on a cement slab.
Twelve items to store in your home safe
- Passports, original birth certificates, marriage/divorce papers, social security cards
- Wills or other important legal documents
- Valuable watches or jewelry
- SD cards, important computer back up discs or other electronics that are important, but you may not use on a weekly basis
- Annual tax returns
- Small firearms
- Spare car keys and titles to all vehicles
- Important papers regarding bank accounts, retirement or other investments
Investing in a safe today could prevent an unfortunate headache in the future. While owning a safe is important, having the right home insurance policy is just as valuable. For all insurance questions, call the insurance agents at H&K Insurance Agency. We have years of experience and will help you find the best coverage for your needs.